Click here to visit the LCCC Fab Lab

The Lorain County Community College Fab Lab is based upon the concepts of Dr Neil Gershenfeld, the director of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Center for Bits and Atoms. A Fab Lab is a collection of commercially available machines that can be used to conceptualize, design, develop, fabricate and test a wide variety of things. The best part is that the equipment is surprisingly easy to use.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

; Meeting President Obama !

Meeting the president was a completely unbelievable experience. I was very nonchalant about it the days leading up to the big event and I tried not to make it a big deal. When that Friday came, it really hit me; I was going to meet the President! Before we were able to get into the FabLab, we were sat in our study rooms waiting for our time to go. I didn’t expect our time to be one on one with him. I can’t believe we had one on one interactions with the President of the United States. I figured he would be surrounded by eighty of his secret service people telling him about the FabLab themselves. Surprisingly, when he entered the room he had such an ecstatic attitude; he was so happy. He walked in and said, “Hey everybody! Sorry to interrupt!” At first I thought, “Who is this loud person coming in here?” Then I realized that it was the President himself. He actually came to each and every one of us, shook our hands and asked us our names. He was so curious of what we were doing, and what the FabLab was. Having a FabLab would lower complication levels for simple things, such as finding dimensions of squares, cutting of shapes and other materials. The Fab Lab really is just a faster way to do a lot of things in an advanced way. You can even make furniture. When he approached Chelsea and I, he called us divas because we named our cereal box Diva-Trition. It’s not every day that the President call you a diva; it was the highlight of my day. Even though everybody had the day off and didn’t have to come to school, I was so honored to come and I wouldn’t have changed it for the world.
; Tajah Davis ( 16yrs old )

No comments:

Post a Comment