Click here to visit the LCCC Fab Lab

The Lorain County Community College Fab Lab is based upon the concepts of Dr Neil Gershenfeld, the director of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Center for Bits and Atoms. A Fab Lab is a collection of commercially available machines that can be used to conceptualize, design, develop, fabricate and test a wide variety of things. The best part is that the equipment is surprisingly easy to use.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Meeting President Obama

In Explanation of my experience Friday, January 22 2010, the word “astounding” can sum it all up. I had been hand chosen by my high school principal, Mrs. Valentine, and my 10th grade Geometry teacher, Ms. Blankenship to represent Early College High School while President Barack Obama was taking a tour of Lorain County Community College. I personally was selected to not only be a participating student but to help answer any questions President Obama had about LCCC’s Fabrication Laboratory. Early College students were incorporated primarily for the reason that Ms. Blankenship’s Geometry class was currently learning how to measure angles of shapes and irregular figures. This innovative learning experience actually helped students who possibly weren’t interested in the angle measurement lesson realize that the learning possibilities are endless. In the long run, students who might not have put forth effort towards applying themselves to this lesson, have been motivated and are willing to put in a greater effort because the FabLab experience contributed to changing their views. It was all so hectic because while everyone was stressing out that the person with the most power in the United States was going to be in their presence, I tried to maintain a calmed serene attitude. All was good until the moment came where as I sat, I looked in a short distance and seen the President walk through the building. I couldn’t help but to think to myself, “He is walking History”. As he walked in the room, as calm and serene as I wish I could have been, I couldn’t help but to be star struck. The President shook my hand and walked away, without noticing that my jaw still hadn’t been picked up off of the ground. My selected partner and I walked into the machinery section of the Fabrication Laboratory, mentally preparing ourselves for whatever question President Obama had to offer. After a few minutes of getting machines ready for the President’s observation, he finally walked in and shook mine and my partners hand once again. He asked only a few questions about the main machine, which was less than expected and took much pressure of me and my colleague. Before he left, my partner asked for a high five from the president, which he so gladly gave, and I was able to squeeze in the most privileged hug of my life with the president before he departed. This entire experience has been the best thing of my life. To think that most people do not have the chance to be in the same room as the President of the United States, I can say I personally met President Barack Obama. I would like to thank the people who made it possible, my 10th grade Geometry teacher Ms. Blankenship and My High School principal Mrs. Valentine. I would also like to thank my fellow classmates for putting in great effort to make this such a great memory. Early College High School made history, my fellow students and staff made history, I made history, and history is never forgotten!

Akil M.S. Blanton

No comments:

Post a Comment